Tuesday, June 1, 2010

(30) Days of Me: Day 1 [Beauty]

You know why I just love Mr. O? Because he encourages me to do better. I've been slacking on blogging lately and mostly it's because I felt that you guys were losing interest. I know we've all been busier and whatnot, so I didn't want to overburden you guys. But Matthue has requested I do this (30) Days of Me thingy and for him... I'll at least try!

So every day I'll post a different I guess fact about me according to this:

Day 1: Your favorite song.
Day 2: Your favorite movie.
Day 3: Your favorite television program.
Day 4: Your favorite book.
Day 5: Your favorite quote.
Day 6: Whatever tickles your fancy.
Day 7: A photo that makes you happy.
Day 8: A photo that makes you angry/sad.
Day 9: A photo you took.
Day 10: A photo of you taken over ten years ago.
Day 11: A photo of you taken recently.
Day 12: Whatever tickles your fancy.
Day 13: A fictional book.
Day 14: A non-fictional book.
Day 15: A fanfic.
Day 16: A song that makes you cry.
Day 17: An art piece.
Day 18: Whatever tickles your fancy.
Day 19: A talent of yours.
Day 20: A hobby of yours.
Day 21: A recipe.
Day 22: A website.
Day 23: A YouTube video.
Day 24: Whatever tickles your fancy.
Day 25: Your day, in great detail.
Day 26: Your week, in great detail.
Day 27: This month, in great detail.
Day 28: This year, in great detail.
Day 29: Hopes, dreams and plans for the next 365 days.
Day 30: Whatever tickles our fancy.

So here we go.... obviously we all have trouble picking out a favorite song, it's tough, there are so many. There's one song I always go back to but I think it's more that I love the lyrics. The only recordings of the songs are pretty shady and I really with they'd re-record it with better quality but my song is:

Tegan and Sara :: Beauty

(Lyrics)
Woke up with beauty in my bed,
and isn't it sad,
How we don't know it's beauty until it's dead.
And it's beauty that I knew so well,
but she wasn't doing too well.
Well, I just wanna go someplace,
where no one knows my name,
and I don't have to explain,
no I don't have to retain.
That I lie to myself or protect myself,
for the benefit of myself.
I want power in my words,
I want passion in my eyes,
and when I wake up,
I want life to be a surprise.
And I guess that I didn't know it all along,
and I guess that I never guessed,
that'd I'd ever guess wrong.
And I set myself up every time you leave,
to destroy the things I've got,
For the things I need.
Each conversation separate from themselves,
separates good from bad.
And they never want what you got,
Until it's up for grabs,
and then they want what you have,
they want what you have.
Well I just want to go someplace,
where no one knows my face,
and I don't have to explain,
and no I don't have to retain.
That I lie to myself,
that I protect myself.
For the benefit of myself.
I want power in my words,
I want passion in my eyes,
and when I wake up,
I want life to be a surprise.
And I guess that I didn't know it all along,
And I'll never guess that,
I'd ever go ahead and guess wrong.
And I set myself up every time you leave,
To deny the things I love,
for the things I need, for the things I need.
I want to break through, to break through.
Oh I want one thing, I wanted,
to come through, oh to come true.
I want passion in my eyes,
I want power in my words,
and when I wake up,
I want life to be a surprise.
And I never thought that I'd wake up
and be starving for you.
No I never thought, that I'd wake up
and I'd be hungry, I'm hungry for you.
To break through to break through,
I want one thing I wanted to come through,
Ah to come true.
I want power in my words,
I want passion in my eyes,
and when I wake up,
I want life to be a surprise.
And I guess that I didn't know it all along,
and I'll never guess that
I'd ever ever go ahead and guess wrong.
Oh I want to break through, to break through.
I want one thing I've dreamed for to come true.
To come through.
Oh I set myself up every time you leave,
to destroy the things I've got,
for the things I need.
To destroy the things I love, for the things I've seen.
(Lyrics)

Besides the fact that the bolded lyrics have been my mantra for as long as I can remember (this song was released on their red demo, which I've been listening to since 1999), I mean I formed my youth around living to that motto. It doesn't get much better than that kids. Just kidding, we all have songs that are close to us, and for me, this goes with me almost as far back as I can recall. Over the years my understanding of the song has shifted about as I've gone through different phases, but as close as I can pin it down, to me this song means being better than what you are, striving to be the person you've always wanted to be, if that makes sense.

So there you have it, the title will take you to one of the better recordings I've found of it. So enjoy.

See you tomorrow! EEK!

(I'm going to suspend the comics for this 3o days for fear I will run out, sorry Matthue!)

5 comments:

Allison said...

I'm excited that you both are doing this - get to know my favourite bloggers a bit better.

I am doing a 30 day challenge as well. As part of the 101 before 1001 list I made I'm going to take a photo (of something, anything) every day for a month. I started today, but I'm posting them weekly.

Mr O said...

*Whenever someone calls me by my full name I kinda feel like I'm in trouble haha. So imagine how it felt to read it TWICE. I kinda felt like you were mad, but I guess it was just childhood flashbacks haha

*I appreciate you at least trying. Let's motivate each other to keep it going just to say we did. It's the little things in life, right?

*I was going to try to get other people to do it, but Allison already has her thing and you know what? Let's just keep it simple kids.

*No need to apologize about the comics. 30 days of posting is asking enough. I'm not doing random lyrics.

*The lyrics may just be some I need to at to the list of my favorites. Thanks for sharing.

*My computer says 11:59. How's that for timing?

Allison said...

It's 5:47 am where I am right now - and I am getting ready to leave for work...

Whenever I see Mr.O's real name I think "that's spelled wrong." My brother's name is Matthew and I can't wrap my head around other spellings. But I feel for him, as most people spell mine with one 'L' and that annoys me. I have two people!

And yes - taking 30 photos over the month might not seem like a lot, but I tend to only take photos when I see something photo-worthy. This way I have to seek out things - plan ahead etc.

Also, Mr O: I will comment back to you on your blog about your Coldplay question after work - I'm gonna think about my favourite song by them while I'm serving grumpy old people coffee this morning.

And Jeanette - can't wait to hear about your favourite movie.

Krystal said...

I love this challenge! I'll look forward to reading them. (I'm totally not surprised it's a Tegan and Sara song :) )

Jeanette said...

@Allison: Yay, I'm excited!

@Mr. O: No I'm not yelling! I'm down for the motivation anytime. Good work on the timing haha! Just IN TIME.

@Allison: haha his name is spelled uniquely.

@Krystal: haha I know that you know my love for Tegan and Sara!