Saturday, June 5, 2010

(30) Days of Me: Day 5 [Call It Off]

I'm kind of too excited about tomorrows post to focus on today's but more on that later. Today's post is my favorite quote. This was a tough one for me, there are so many quotes from so many wise people but I found one that I always find comforting when I'm feeling eh. I think the fact the quote is from Joseph Gordon Levitt (one of my future husbands) only makes me love it (and him) even more. I'm not even sure how I stumbled upon the quote but I'm about to drop some knowledge on you. You ready?

"I think there is something beautiful in reveling in sadness. The proof is in how beautiful sad songs can be. So I don't think being sad is to be avoided. It's apathy and boredom you want to avoid. But feeling anything is good, I think. Maybe that's sadistic of me."

I don't find that quote sadistic at all, in fact, I find it empowering. Growing up, were never allowed to be sad, when we were, adults encouraged us to get happy. This leaves us incapable of coping with sadness as adults. I think that's a problem with our society. I think being sad is as vital a part to life as being happy. Being sad means that you know you had something great and you are now missing it, that makes you more aware next time you get it back. Maybe that's just me, and good 'ol JGL who feel that way haha. [Sidenote: I'm so excited for his new movie "Inception"]

For the title song I used a Tegan and Sara song (big surprise I know) but they're known for their sad songs, and Call It Off is one of the saddest, but it's beautiful at the same time. This is what I envision JGL talking about in the above quote. What other songs can you guys think of that qualify haha.

Now onto the exciting news, tomorrow I will be reviewing Charlotte Sometimes new EP, I'm stoked for you all to here it, I'm a long time fan and I think you guys will love it!

4 comments:

Allison said...

i agree - sadness is an important part of the human experience. Without it we're just robots. How can we know that we're happy if we don't know what it feels like to be sad.

That said, (500) Days of Summer was a movie that made me feel very sad.

He's one of my fake boyfriends as well :)

Krystal said...

I loved this! And I agree completely with this quote and what you so elegantly said...people should embrace their sadness. And p.s. call it off is always always always on any of my playlists!

Jeanette said...

@Allison: oh (500) Days...I just wanted to hug JGL and tell him it'd be alright haha.

@Krystal: Thanks! And it's one of the greats! I was as their concert and Tegan was like "This next song makes me sad, but I'm not going to tell you why, but this song is ruined for me... you're welcome" and then played Call It Off haha

Mr O said...

I have so much respect for JGL and it's 67% thanks to you